Biology - Genetic Screening: Issues, Arguments, and Ethics
Scientists have developed a way to screen embryos for a whole host of genetic traits using the technique called Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD). This technique in combination with Invitro Fertilization (IVF) allow parents to learn about the traits their embryos possess before a possible pregnancy takes place.
YOUR TASK - Answer the ESSENTIAL QUESTION:
Under what circumstances is genetic screening appropriate in the United States?
Objectively research this science issue. Reflect on both sides of the issue and decide your own point of view in which your reasoning is supported by facts rather than emotion. Gather evidence that supports your claim.
Use the resources below to help you gather information about this topic.
Genetic Screening Note Form
(To add to your Drive: File > Make a copy)
General Information about PGD, IVF, and Genetic Screening (Background Resources)
- In vitro fertilization (IVF) by Antonio Farina and Brenda Wilmoth Lerner
- Designer Babies from Opposing Viewpoints Online Collection
Pro-Genetic Screening Resources
- Prenatal Genetic Screening Enhances Autonomy by Ronald Bailey
- New Prenatal Genetic Tests Offer Safe Early Screening for Birth Defects by Erin Biba
- Enhancing Humans Through Science Is Beneficial by Hemmy Cho
- Prenatal Genetic Testing Helps Pregnant Women Detect Birth Defects by Marilynn Marchione
- Human Genetic Engineering Should Be Allowed by Ronald M. Green
- Human Genetic Engineering Is a Good Solution to Climate Change by S. Matthew Liao
- Human Gene Editing Receives Key Panel's Support by Amy Harmon
- Expert Opinions Should Guide Designer Baby Technologies by Sirine Shebaya
Anti-Genetic Screening Resources
- The Public Should Oppose Designer Baby Technology by Rahul Thadani
- One Step Closer to Designer Babies: New Noninvasive Prenatal Genetic Testing Could Change Human Pregnancy Forever by Marcy Darnovsky
- The Nonmedical Screening of Embryos Should Be Banned by Cheryl Miller
- Selecting a Child's Genetic Traits Will Create a Privileged Elite by Heather Long
- Prenatal Genetic Testing Promotes Abortion by Kristan Hawkins
- Prenatal Testing for Genetic Disorders Dehumanizes All Who Have Disorders by Ramesh Ponnuru
- Prenatal Testing for Adult-Onset Conditions Is Not Beneficial by Bonnie Steinbock
WARNING: Google is NOT the perfect solution for academic inquiry. ANYONE with access to the Internet can create a webpage. The creator can make the page look professional but fill it with all kinds of misinformation or biases. When you search Google, you cannot be certain that the results returned are reliable.